Useful information

Rehabilitation Officer for the Visually Impaired (ROVI)

TheROVI is a trained specialist Officer employed by Cumbria County Council Adult Social Care to support people with a visual impairment. The role of the ROVI is to advise and assess the needs of people experiencing sight loss. For example training in mobility and daily living skills.

further details available on: 01768 812243 and ask to speak to the Rehabilitation Officer for the Visually Impaired (ROVI).

Low Vision Clinic

The Low Vision clinic is where people can receive an assessment of their useful residual vision and if appropriate magnifiers can be provided on loan free of charge. Magnifiers together with suitable lighting can help with reading letters, newspapers and prices on items in shops etc.

If you feel you may benefit from an assessment then contact: Low Vision Service 0844 824 8799 Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm

Disabled Person Rail Card Concessions

People who have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult

If you have a Certificate of Visual Impairment then you may apply for a disabled persons rail card to obtain discounts on train fares for yourself and a guide.

Call 0345 605 0525 (7am to 10pm Monday to Sunday) for further information.

BT 195 Service

If you have a certificate of Visual Impairment then you may qualify for the BT 195 Directory Enquiry Service, which allows you to seek a telephone number free of charge.

Call the registration office on: 0800 5870 195 and request an application form.

Please note, there may be a charge if you ask the operator to connect you to the number supplied.

Voluntary Transport in the Eden District

Voluntary Drivers Scheme

To find out if there is a Voluntary drivers scheme in your area please call: 077883 96194.

Rural Wheels

To ascertain if you qualify For Rural Wheels please telephone: 0845 602 3786

Hospital Patients Transport

ESS understands that any patient who is registered blind or partially sighted will automatically qualify for Patient Transport. Please Telephone: 0800 032 3240 for further information.

Blind Persons Tax Allowance

You can claim Blind Person’s Allowance if you are registered severely sight impaired (blind) or, if you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, are unable to perform any work for which eyesight is essential. This is added to your tax-free Personal Allowance and increases the amount of income you can earn each year before you start paying tax.

If you are on a low income, or you don’t pay any tax, you can transfer the Blind Person’s Allowance, or part of it, to your spouse or civil partner – even if they are sighted. If both you and your spouse or civil partner qualify for Blind Person’s Allowance, you can each claim an allowance.

To claim, call Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on 0300 200 3301 or visit the RNIB help page.

RNIB: supporting Blind and Partially Sighted People

The RNIB is a National charity offering a wide range of services to visually Impaired people living in the UK. Services include: The Talking Book Library Service, Benefits advice line and a shop selling a wide range of products for people experiencing Sight Loss.

Call 03031239999 for further information.

Macular Society

The Macular Society is a UK charity for anyone affected by age-related macular degeneration, macular disease or macular conditions.

The Macular Society is a national charity for anyone affected by macular conditions. In the UK 600,000 people have AMD and another 200 people are diagnosed every day. For help & advice call on 0300 3030 111

Switchboard: 01264 350 551 or visit the Macular Society website.